I could fill post after post of Judge Dredd drawings, which is odd because the uniform was always daunting, the idea of drawing the shoulder armour, the boots, the chin. Actually its very forgiving, you can hide and stretch Dredd's body under all that if needs be and actually, he's iconic for a reason, brilliant character and so much fun to draw.
One of the things its advised not to do when seeking attention from editors is to show them pin-ups. They are no indication of an ability to tell a story which is more important than a polished action pose. That being said, drawing superheroes is how I started as a kid and something I still love to do, even though I don't often get the chance. Here are a few I've done over the past while:
Recently I submitted these pages to the 2000ad/Thought bubble competition. There was a script supplied, I enjoyed interpreting it and seeing how other artists tackled it. I worked hard on it because I knew the competition would be tough and because of the deadline, I was happy with what I had produced. It’s only after I can go over it and see flaws, things I want to change or do better. I had a professional comic artist friend go through it with me, pointing out things from their perspective, things I knew but over looked, other things I hadn’t spotted. I believe this is an important thing for any artist to do, criticism is healthy when it’s constructive. Overall, I’m glad I did it, the winner and nominees were very talented and have spurred me on to up my game.
Comments
Post a Comment